Sunday, December 17, 2006

My extraordinary ordinary running shoe


Somebody once told me I own a pair of most hideous and ugly running shoes. It’s a new balance 322 normally given to recruits in Singapore Police Force for training purposes. What draws me to this unappealing New Balance running shoe obviously is not its look but its ability to perform.

During this past 4 years, I’ve been jogging with this unflattering and ordinary new balance shoe. One rainy day, while I was jogging around my neighborhood, I discover that the black plastic base of the shoe had tear off. I feel an immediate sorrow for the shoe that I couldn’t care less. It’s inexplicable. It’s unprepared. I actually feel something for the running shoe. I know it’s not because I’ve to spend another $20 - $30 for a pair of running shoe (yes, I’m that cheap…) but because of this shoe I’ve developed a passion. A passion for jogging. A passion which started for just losing weight till in the recent years has become my stress release.

Whenever I’m down or low, I’ll turn to my running shoe and start jogging.
Without this shoe, every jogging session will not be the same. I couldn’t bear to throw it away. I feel like I own an apology to the running shoe that I’ve taken it for granted. I understand that everything serves a wonderful purpose and the only way to find out is to move on and discover. I know sometimes life plays trick on me, throw situation that I’m not prepared for but if I learn to detach myself will I consider callous or heartless? If I forsake the shoe, will I consider as vile and devious? Nothing happens by accident, everything happens for a reason. I’ve to let go at some point and move on to discover the wonderful purpose behind this whole incident…

After procrastinating for a few months, I’ve finally decided to get myself a new pair of running shoes. I might have bought a new pair of running shoe but nothing can change the fact that this ordinary running shoe has made an extraordinary impact on me…

No comments: